Fuel injectors are one of the important components of a car engine. As the name suggests, the fuel injects the fuel into the combustion chamber. When fuel injector fails to perform its function, it can cause problems, which can affect the performance of the engine. In this article, we are going to discuss some of the signs of a bad fuel injector. Here we go:
Abrupt engine power
- When a fuel injector is clogged, the supply of fuel will be irregular. This is due to irregular flow of fuel the engine will fluctuate.
- Due to fluctuating fuel supply, the engine power will break down, rather than being steady.
- Fuel leak can occur due to cracks or breaks on the fuel injector body.
- The leaking of fuel is common for those injectors fitted onto the intake manifold. If this happens, the fuel can leak out into the intake manifold, which can be both seen and smelled.
- The most common cause of engine misfire is the clogging of dust particles. And due to this, the supply of fuel completely stops when it is required, which results in low performance of the engine.
- The engine will misfire which can be felt easily while driving.
- This is a bad sign because, misfire would result in engine overheating and pre-igniting the fuel mixture.
Rough engine idle
- When engine is running with rough idle,instead of a smooth engine idle, it,s an indication of irregular fuel supply.
- Any leaking of fuel from the injector or a bad fuel injector can affect your car’s gas mileage.
- A leaky fuel injector can waste fuel by leaking of fuel injector housing instead of being injected into the engine.
- A malfunctioning fuel injector can cause too much fuel injected into the engine.
- Leaking of fuel and malfunctioning of the fuel injector cause excess fuel being wasted, which in turn affects gas mileage.
- A bad fuel injector can cause an irregular fuel supply to the engine, a condition that can cause the engine to surge or alternate between high and low rpm engine operation.
- This results in a very up-and-down engine operation.
The operations of the vehicle/car can be affected by a bad fuel injector. Rough idle, loss of power, stumbling and stalling are some of the signs of dirty injectors. Generally, dirty fuel injectors will cause the engine to run rough.
Make sure to check the fuel injectors regularly and maintain them properly and timely. This can increase the life span if the fuel injector not only the fuel injector, but also some other parts of your vehicle.