California tops in manufacturing industries, and in terms of the number of employees, number of establishments, value added by manufacture, new capital spending, value of shipments. It is the nation’s leading industrial state with diversified economy ranking 10th in the value of goods and services produced. California state ranks among the leaders in fabricated materials, food processing, machinery, computers, food processing, aerospace technology and other industries.
Majority of the California’s work force is located in two manufacturing centers where almost 3/4th of the work is done either in Los Angeles or San Francisco.
The following are few major industries present in California:
Agriculture: California state leads every other state in farm income.
- It is known as the agricultural power house of United States.
- Around 73% of the state’s agricultural revenue is derived from crops while remaining 275 is generated through live stock commodities.
- The top five agricultural products produced by California are
- Green house and nursery products
- Dairy products
- Calves and cattle
Crops: Over 200 different crops are grown in California including grapes, strawberries, walnuts, almonds and oranges.
- Important vegetable crops grown are tomatoes, lettuce, asparagus, garlic, mushrooms, peppers, onions, broccoli etc.
Live stock: Dairy products produced by calves, cattle and livestock products such as beef cattle, sheep, turkeys, eggs, hog and horses are the most valuable products produced.
Mining: California is united states leading mining state which produces great variety of products with oil as the major product.
- All the boron in the nation is mined in California state.
- Sand and gravel, diatomite, sodium compounds and tungsten are made making it a leading producer.
- Also it is one among the top producers of gypsum, molybdenum, gold , magnesium compounds, pumice, potash and perlite.
Manufacturing: Manufacturing is what where value is added to the raw products by the manufacturers.
- California is one of the top state which ranks first in manufacturing.
- It is a leading manufacturer of military communication equipment, electrical equipment, components and electronic systems for missiles and aircraft.
- The state ranks second in the manufacture of computer machinery followed by food product processing of beverages, canned fruits, baked goods and vegetables.
Services: California’s service industry generates highest gross state product.
- Service industries present are business and community with personal services being the leading service industry which also include private health care, engineering companies, law firms, repair shops , hotels and entertainment companies.
Though with diversified work force in the state most of the industries present include electronics and electrical equipment, food, apparel, transportation equipment and industrial machinery. Th above data give information regarding the major industries present across California.