Neighborhood watch is also called as neighborhood crime watch. It is a group of people organized for preventing crime in neighborhood. People organize as a group and agree to keep eye on their neighbors through a crime prevention program. This also includes educating the neighbors regarding safety and security.
Forming neighborhood watch:
- Ask your neighbors to participate in the campaign by telling them the crime risks and experiences.
- Have a meeting where you have to chance to tell about your group and make an agreement with all the people.
- Ask your local police help in forming neighborhood watch and speak about neighborhood watch and its benefits.
- Prepare a newsletter regarding neighborhood watch and distribute it to everyone around your house or apartment.
- Elect some members who are interested to lead the group and help in taking decisions all the time.
- Register your group with organizations that support neighborhood watch.
Have regular meetings i.e., at least once in a month and ask the group members to share their views and any risks happened and try to help the people who are at risk by telling some necessary precautions.
Crime prevention in neighborhood:
- Organize neighborhood program once in a month to know the techniques in protecting neighbors when they are at risk.
- Stay in groups and discuss about the crime and prevention activities. As you are in a group, it will be easy for you to protect your neighbors.
- Ask the police to react quickly when there are symptoms of risk in neighborhood. In addition, tell them about your neighborhood watch program.
- Learn from an expert crime prevention tips like
- Ways to Identifying the suspicious person
- What to do in emergency situations
- If injured what are the steps to be followed
- How to find the suspicious person entering the building
- How to identify the stolen vehicles
- How to protect your family and neighbor’s family from attack etc.
- If anything wrong, goes organize a meeting and make your neighbors aware of what happened so that they will be prepared to avoid it once again.
- Make people ensure that always police and security people won’t be there to protect them.
These are few tips that will really help for neighborhood watch and neighborhood protection. These programs are must based on the crime rate and present living conditions of the people.