When taking care of personal hygiene, brushing is one of the most important aspects. Dental professionals recommend brushing your teeth twice or even thrice a day. This is, of course, difficult for people who are too busy with their work schedule to brush twice or thrice. Brushing as many times as possible is a good habit in oral care. This article throws light on importance of brushing your teeth.
How often should you brush?
Brushing removes away food particles and plaque – a thin sticky film that forms on the teeth. Plaque contains bacteria. Brushing your teeth after each meal is a good practice in dental hygiene. It will help in removing plaque. Brushing your teeth using toothpaste that has appropriate amount of fluoride before going to bed is equally important, as when you sleep there is less production of saliva compared to when you are awake.
So, this means dry mouth. As saliva acts as a defense against cavities, your mouth becomes more prone to cavities. Here fluoride plays an important role in fighting cavities. Not only does it make the teeth strong but also reverses the decaying. Therefore, brushing your teeth regularly is very important. This will keep your mouth healthy. It also helps you in retaining your teeth for life.
Proper brushing technique
- Hold your toothbrush at 45 degrees angle against the gumline. Start brushing from where the teeth and gums meet till the chewing surface of the teeth.
- Likewise, brush all the outside of the tooth surfaces.
- For cleaning inside surfaces of the front teeth, hold the toothbrush in a vertical position and clean. Then in the same way, clean the inside of the lower teeth.
- Don’t forget to brush your tongue. It helps in removing bacteria that exist on the tongue.
In addition to brushing your teeth, dental professionals recommend you for
- Flossing daily at least once
- Replacing your toothbrush every 3-4 months
- Taking healthy diet
- Visiting dentist regularly
Choosing a toothbrush
With so many toothbrushes available in the market, it becomes difficult to decide what kind of toothbrush should be better for your teeth. Consider the following when choosing a toothbrush:
- Select a toothbrush that has soft bristles. Moreover, make sure that bristles have rounded tips so that it won’t cause damage to your gums.
- Keep in mind the size of the toothbrush’s head. It should easily reach in each corner of the mouth.
- See to it that the handle of the toothbrush is wide which will help you control your toothbrush better.
- Change your toothbrush every 3-4 months.
These tips are likely to help you take care of your teeth and keep them healthy for long.