Each minute of downtime equates to loss of revenue for the business. Sometimes, prolong downtime becomes a nightmare for the business owners. As it affects the organization’s reputation, loss of sales, loss of customers and credibility. And another scary thing about site’s downtime is loss of search engine ranking.
In your organization, the IT department is responsible for monitoring the performance of your site. But they have the other organization related work. If you outsource monitoring services to a web monitoring service company, they check your site constantly whether it is functioning properly. And they will immediately inform you as and when error is noticed in your site performance. In this post, you will see common web monitoring services and the factors responsible for the website downtime.
Common web monitoring services include
- Website monitoring: This helps you find the website’s performance in terms of its availability and functionality. If at any moment an error is noticed in your site, these agencies notify you in the form of emails, SMS or RSS feeds.
- Server monitoring: Websites are related to the server. So, it is important to monitor the server functionality. This helps to identify the malfunctions or errors and fix them before they affect the end-user’s experience.
- Application monitoring: This includes monitoring the applications integrated in the website.
Factors that hampers the website functions
- Server connectivity failure: It is one of the frequent reason for website down. This occurs when server is down due to network or firewall failure. So, your site cannot be seen or accessible by the end-user and you may be prevent from website updating, receiving and sending the e-mails, processing the customers orders etc.
- Timeout event while pageload: When server or network connections are overloaded, web pages takes more time to load even though there is a connection. And hence time out event can be seen.
- Connection refusal by server: Due to overload in the server, it may refuse to connect.
- DNS look up issue: This issue arises when there is incorrect configuration in DNS server settings related to the domain name.
- Server overloaded: When web servers are overloaded with too many things it works slowly. There are many reasons for it such as inadequate RAM, CPU, slower hard disk drives etc. Hence, as server is directly related to your site functioning then its impact can be seen on your site.
- Hacking site: Hackers use different methods like DoS (denial-of-service) and DDoS (distributed denial-of-service) to overload server or network temporarily. This makes the server slow or sometimes completely goes offline.
- Other factors responsible for website downtime include hardware faults, virus, corrupted files, programming error/bugs, malicious hacking, accidental file deletion, etc.