Since ancient times, Chinese people have been using green tea to treat every thing from headaches to depression because they know medicinal benefits of green tea. Researchers of some University recently concluded that a compound in green tea prevents the growth of cancer cells.
The cultivation of tea has been started from centuries in both India and china. Today most hundreds of millions of people are consuming tea in the world which is a second beverage to water. Some studies suggests that green tea(camellia sine-sis) especially has many healthy benefits. Tea is available in 3 different varieties such as green, black and oolong. The only difference is how the teas are processed.
Green tea is least processed and provides the most antioxidant poly-phenols, notably a catechin called epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), which is the active ingredient responsible for most of the health benefits. Antioxidants fight against the free radicals which damages the cells,DNA of the body and can even cause cell death.
Green Tea’s health benefits are largely because of its high content of flavonoids(plant-derived compounds) that are antioxidants. Below are some of the health benefits of green tea.
- It helps to prevent tooth decay by killing bacteria that causes dental plaque.
- It prevents the growth of cancer cells but also it helps in killing dangerous cells without harming any healthy cells.
- Green tea lowers total cholesterol levels, as well as improves the ratio of good cholesterol to bad cholesterol.
- Green tea reduces the heart attacks and stroke by inhibiting the abnormal formation of blood clots.
- Green tea can prevent many diseases from simple bacterial or viral infections to chronic disease including cardiovascular disease, stroke, periodontal disease, and osteoporosis.
- Green tea lowers the sugar levels in the body. So, it is very beneficial for the diabetes patients to control their sugar levels.
- Green tea can helps in getting relief from depression & headache which is a usual problem of a common man in this busy world and also it helps to reduce the weight.
- Green tea extract or EGCG, preserves the brain cells from dying and provides rescue to already damaged neurons.