What Happens with Vitamin C Overdose?

By | January 25, 2012

Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin which provides many beneficial functions. It helps in improving iron absorption, enhances immune system, preserves skin elasticity, and so on. It is a powerful antioxidant and helps in protecting cells against damage by free radicals. Various diseases such as cancer, heart and lung diseases are caused because of free radicals and therefore, people prefer to take high doses of vitamin C to avoid these problems. However, high doses of this vitamin does not protect one from these diseases. In addition, some side effects arise with vitamin C overdose.

Excessive use of vitamin C is non-toxic and causes gastrointestinal irritations. Diarrhea, nausea and kidney stones are the common side-effects of vitamin C overdose. However, symptoms such as vomiting, fatigue, sleep disturbances, headaches and face flushing are associated with high doses of vitamin C. Even increased urination, gas, stomach cramps, back or joint pains and insomnia are seen. Though it is a water soluble vitamin, it is not safe to have C vitamin in excess amounts. When these amounts are not washed away from the body, the vitamin gets stored in kidneys in the form of stones.

The overdose amounts of vitamin C, however, vary from person to person. It depends on various factors like age, genes and the ratio of other reactive elements in the body. The treatment for avoiding these issues should be taken immediately by consulting a doctor. The only way to treat toxicity of vitamin C is to stop taking excessive amounts the vitamin supplements and foods rich in the vitamin. So, one should be careful to take right dosage of vitamin C to ensure required health benefits.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *