Plants play a major role in the preparation of the perfumes because of their aromatic compounds. Not only the reproductive parts like flowers, fruits, seeds but also the parts like barks, leaves and the waste like rind is also used for preparing perfumes. Mainly these parts are used for the preparation of the perfumes.
- Fruits: Generally, fresh fruits are used for the preparation of the perfumes. The main fruits which are used for the preparation of the perfumes are oranges, lemons, limes all belong to citrus family and they are aromatic sources. Fresh fruits like apple, strawberries and cherries do not give expected smell. Natural grape fruit does not give a nice odor. So, go for the artificially synthesized grape fruit.
- Use of Barks: Safrole which is prepared from the bark of sassafras is used for the preparation of fragrant compounds. The barks of the plants like cinnamon and cascarilla are used for the synthesizing the fragrant compounds.
- Use Of Flowers: Flowers are the major sources for preparing the perfumes. These are the largest aromatic sources used for the synthesis of the aromatic compounds. General flowers which are used in the preparation of the perfumes are rose, jasmine, osmanthus, mimosa, tuberose, casie, ambrette etc. The clove is also used in the preparation of the perfume. Only some of the orchid flowers are used for the preparation of the perfume. Generally in the case of vanilla, an orchid seed pods which are produced after pollination are used for the synthesis of the perfume.
- Leaves like Citrus leaves, Lavender leaf, rosemary leaves are used. Hay and tomato leaves are also used in some cases.
- Resins are also used in the preparation of the perfumes. They are used for the properties of incense and perfumery smell. Fossil conifers secrete the amber, copal which are used are also some of the ingredients which can be used for the preparation of perfumes.
- Seeds like carrot seed, coriander, cocoa, cardomam are used. Roots like vetiver roots, iris rhizomes and ginger family roots can be used. Woods like sandal wood, rose wood, juniper, pine etc are used for preparing perfumes.
So, obviously the plants become the major sources for preparing the perfumes.